Wednesday 6 August 2008

Let's start blogging...

As you can see I am a fan of the ellipsis (...). It kind of adds a sense of wandering off and actually doing the thing referred to in the text preceding it. Enough about English, I have set this blog up to record and disseminate in some way my ever increasing and improving collection of deep-space images. Hence the title, which I think sounds quite funny (in a Dougal from Father Ted sort of way). What an understatement! I reminded myself of the size of objects in our local neighbourhood in space earlier when I read that the Sun was about 865,000 miles in diameter! That's just blows my mind! Much bigger than the entire moon's orbit! In addition to this, the entire surface is at about 6000ºC! Ouch! and just as you try to imagine anything surviving that (which it won't by the way), the corona, its outer atmosphere, is many million degrees! It infact shines in X-rays, by the light of multiply ionized atoms such as iron with fifteen electrons stripped off - you should see the http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov website for the animations!

No comments:

<