Sunday 11 January 2009

Sol

I looked out of my window this morning and saw unexpected whiteness everywhere. There was no snow forecast, it was just a deep, powdery frost. So I went to my local heath to take some photos and as I climbed the hill I turned back and it was one of those rare occasions when you can look straight at the sun. It was wierd, like looking at a blank, white moon and I gave it a good stare, but I couldn't see any sunspots. I bracketed the exposures but chose the 1/2500" on ISO 100 with the Canon standard lens zoomed in to 70mm. This picture is a crop of a high quality jpeg and the optical quality is amazing, so I couldn't bear to scale the picture down (as I do for all the space pictures that overexpose stars into huge blobs). It was -4º with a breeze and I had no gloves, so in no time I had immobile hands and the autofocus frosted over.

No comments:

<