Sunday 11 January 2009

My attempt at stitching photos together.

This is a worthy subject for a panorama: M33 the close spiral galaxy. It has lots of nebulae and clumps of stars visible - click on it and scrutinise the outer regions. I did 4 x 4 x 15 second pictures on the 20" scope with the centre of the galaxy in each corner and tried to stitch them together using the camera's software. The brightnesses were all different - I spent ages trying to adjust the brightness of different parts of the final picture but I had to stop sometime. I don't know of any free software that can easily correct for these subtle brightness differences. Anyway, my previous M33 pic (below) made it into print in my society's newsletter... but I've done as I said in the accompanying post and taken an improved picture (without any of those trailed smudges or the heavy blue bias).

No comments:

<