Friday 3 May 2013

Detection of Distant Aurora

I was getting aurora alerts on my phone and with activity having been raging at Kp=10 all day and evening I couldn't resist driving North of the City and going for a look just before bedtime. I set up the modified Camera on a tripod and took a few 30 second, wide angle shots. One short sequence shot at around 2300UT on May 1st, showed a noticeable change when I flicked through it. There were three red vertical beams where there hadn't been any 90 seconds ago. The glow below these on the actual pictures had a greenish hint to it, showing it may have been green aurora but it was too masked by light pollution for me to be satisfied I was seeing aurora, so I had an idea of a rather more scientific technique of image subtraction. I manually blurred and shrunk the images in paint shop pro and did a subtraction. On enhancing the contrast, and getting rid of a few noise artefacts I got this weird picture. It is a difference picture, so the yellowish cloud is where the cloud was advancing, and the darker blue cloud is where the cloud was. So... I managed to defeat the cloud and light pollution to reveal proof of aurora! What's more I decided to do a rough distance calculation. I estimate the top of the red aurora is 400km high, which is seen at 20º altitude. This leads to a distance 1200km, or a guesstimate of around 800km, allowing for curvature. The green and the red emission of aurorae come from atomic oxygen, but the red is from a higher energy, long lived excited state. This state's energy gets quenched by collisions with air molecules below 100km or so altitude, due to the higher density of the atmosphere.

No comments:

<