Sunday 6 February 2011

Kohoutek2_1 a.k.a. PK173-5.1…catchy name.

The reason this nebula hasn’t got a decent name is because it is faint and quite amorphous unless, of course, you like one of the names above. The nebula’s feeble 13.8(photographic) magnitude light extends quite a way: over a 2.2 arcminute-sized smear. This planetary nebula is a bit of a cosmic mystery insomuch as it's difficult to tell what type it is. It was difficult to photograph, mainly because I aimed my telescope perfectly, but it appeared after development at the lower edge of my picture. My original calibration was with a poor flat field, which was not good at the edge, although I had done a good job processing: blurring, increasing contrast and masking the stars, background removal etc., etc.. You can see the purple noise where the background subtraction went a bit wrong and the glow on the right from the camera sensor’s amplifier. I show you here the cropped edge of the picture where this glob of stellar snot was hiding. There’s a distinctive pattern of stars on the left that one could use as a sign post. I might try and find this ‘faint fuzzy’ visually on a good night, as it is 12th magnitude to the eye and high in the sky just below the outline of Auriga the charioteer.

No comments:

<