Friday 9 October 2009

Northumberland Astro Soc.

Having travelled from Norfolk all the way to North of Newcastle, I got an extremely warm welcome by a friendly bunch of people at the Northumberland Astronomy Society (and free entry and a cup of coffee!). It was a Saturday, there was an entertaining open night talk by a Mr. Jannetta, to the point where it seemed like he had control of the heavens. It was a sharp and clear dusk over Hauxley, near Amble, and we had a nature reserve shed/hide as the club room. This was absolutely ideal as it pointed South across a prettty tidal wetland with a beautifully low horizon- the preferred direction for astronomers! But the best bit was the talk stopped at about 8:13 p.m. and we all gathered along the long window to watch the now superbright International Space Station sail slowly from right to left and "above" the planet Jupiter, which we could also see reflected in the water below. I bobbed down for people behind me to see and I rested my DSLR on the windowsill and got this 2 second snap. The only inconvenience was that I had to try to get back to Leeds by 11 p.m which meant no observing!

No comments:

<