Friday 10 July 2009

Messier mosaic

Here is a 4x3 snippet of my new Messier object mosaic. Each picture is a 300x300 pixel image I have taken of the object. Some are awfully low in altitude from 52ºN. It's surprising how different each image is. Each have their own image processing challenges, whether it is light pollution subtraction, bringing out faint spiral arms, or eliminating the blurry disc effect on the small globular clusters. I learned that not all globulars look alike, and they all look impressive with a 20" scope. I used different magnifications for different objects, e.g. M24 in Sagittarius is huge! I have arranged my mosaic as 11 rows of 10, so each column ends in the same digit - but it's not complete. Here is a complete section so you can guess what columns and rows I have shown - if your astronomy knowledge is up to it, that is!

No comments:

<